When you’re planning your marketing content, it can be difficult to know where to begin. There are lots of helpful blog articles out there showing you how to get started and how to make the most of your content marketing.
But what about the pitfalls that can come with it?
We’re going to walk you through some of the common mistakes you should avoid in your content marketing so you can be more successful in engaging your ideal audience.
- Not Knowing Your Audience – If you don’t clearly define your audience and your “ideal customer”, your writing could be too generalised. It’s vital that you know exactly who your audience is before you touch even a key on the keyboard. On the blog, we recently posted about defining your brand voice. Haven’t read it yet? Click the link here to read more >> https://jeffreystudios.com.au/how-to-formulate-your-brand-voice/ . It will help you define a communication style that speaks directly to your ideal customer.
- Not Setting Goals – When you’re writing content you should have a clear goal in mind. Without a clear goal in mind, your content will never address what your audience wants to read about. Define the goal of the piece you’re writing. Is it helping your readers?
- Not Writing for Your Audience – Look, we know… we’ve touched on this before, but it’s super important. Many businesses fall victim to this. They fill their content with marketing buzzwords, not realising that instead of encouraging their audience to engage, they’re alienating them instead. Don’t estrange your audience, you’ll push them away rather than draw them in.
- Forgetting Conversation – Remember not to be too formal. Of course, you want to remain professional, but try to keep your tone as conversational as possible. Write as if someone is on the other side of your desk. Use your own voice and words you would actually use in a face to face interaction… also see the blog mentioned in point one.
- Not Being Specific – You could be the best writer in the world, but if your content marketing doesn’t address your audience’s pain points, you might as well be writing your own shopping list. Always make sure you’re making a specific point.
- Quality Over Quantity – Don’t fall into the trap of thinking more is better. Less is most definitely more when it comes to writing good content for your business. You don’t need four posts per month. One GOOD post is better than four average posts. Crappy content doesn’t convert!
- No Call to Action (CTA) – Every post should have a next step for your reader. It could be to join your email list, to sign-up for a free guide or more information, purchase a product or send an enquiry. For example, our CTA at the end of this blog is going to encourage you to join our FREE Facebook Group to gain access to more information on marketing your business 2022.
So there you have it, seven content marketing mistakes to avoid.
Want to learn more about how to market your business in the digital age? Let us take the confusion out of online marketing by joining our FREE online marketing support group on Facebook. You can ask questions and have them answered by our experienced team of professionals, promote your business and services on Tuesdays and join a community of like-minded business owners seeking to up-level their marketing approach.
>> Click Here << Join us in our Tasmanian Online Marketing Support Group