Want to be known as an expert in your field? Of course you do, every business owner out there wants to be taken seriously. They want to convey that they know what they’re doing and that they have the expertise to deliver a great service, or provide a quality product.
But what if their content isn’t reflecting their knowledge. Imagine good ol’ Bill the electrician saying he could replace all the lights in your house, but on his website, there’s no evidence to suggest that he knows what he’s doing.
Bill might be a master electrician, but if his content doesn’t reflect his high level of experience he’ll be lumped in with every other Tom, Dick and Harry. Diluting what makes Bill’s electrical services better than everyone else, he’s an expert after all.
However, if Bill had a blog post about all the different kinds of lights that are suitable for each fixture, his customers would feel a lot more relaxed about him working on their beloved kitchen spotlights, this blog has built trust and shown potential customers that Bill is a knowledgable, highly skilled electrician. Making him a cut above the Tom’s, Dicks & Who-the-fuck-cares!
Customers go looking for proof of expertise all the time. Much of the time they’re doing it subconsciously. It’s so important that you establish yourself as a trusted expert in the content you create.
So, how can you establish yourselves as an expert? Let’s chat about six ways you can showcase your expertise through your content:
- Blog posts – Blog posts are a fantastic way to share your knowledge with your customers. Not only can you deliver a more detailed explanation, but you can also provide them with helpful tips they can action immediately. The next time they run into a problem, your name will be the one they remember.
- Email marketing – You really can’t go wrong with a regular email newsletter. When a potential customer subscribes to you, it opens a window of opportunity for them to build a relationship with your brand. Throughout your emails, you can share tips, information and encourage conversation.
- Social media – Social media is the perfect place to establish your expertise. You can use it to interact with your followers, share helpful content, answer any questions your customers might have, or point them in the direction of your very helpful blog posts.
- Podcast – If you have the time to run a podcast, it is a golden opportunity to establish yourself as THE trusted expert in your industry. Podcasts allow you to go into much more detail, help you to share more of your personality and deliver content in an easy-to-digest format.
- Videos – Consider creating short helpful videos for customers to watch. These can be repurposed as social media posts, or helpful responses to FAQ’s and if you’re not camera shy, your audience can get to know you more. With a face to a name, they’re far more inclined to trust you.
- Guest Appearances – Another fantastic way of showcasing your expertise is to be a guest on another brand’s podcast or to author a guest post. The more you show your face around in your industry, the more people will remember you.
So, there you have it! Our six tips on how to be seen as an expert in your field. If you implement any of these strategies let us know, we’d love to hear about the impacts it’s had on your business.
For more expert marketing advice join our exclusive Facebook community, just click the link below